How do you remove a file whose filename begins with a dash (hyphen or minus) -? I'm ssh'd into a remote OSX server and I have this file in my directory

How do you remove a file whose filename begins with a dash (hyphen or minus) -? I'm ssh'd into a remote OSX server and I have this file in my directory:
tohru:~ $ ls -l
total 8
-rw-r--r--    1 me  staff  1352 Aug 18 14:33 --help
...
How in the world can I delete --help from a CLI? This issue is something that I come across in different forms on occasion, these files are easy to create, but hard to get rid of.
I have tried using backslash
rm \-\-help
I have tried quotes
rm "--help"
How do I prevent the minus (dash or hyphen) character to be interpreted as an option?
 
 
ANSWERS:-


down vote accepted
Use "--" to make rm stop parsing command line options, like this:
rm -- --help

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Don't Forget to comment